Thursday, November 23, 2006

July 2006 Mexico

Un-expected House guests!

Ana & I had hoped to visit the Tarahumara people in Chihuahua, Mexico, the last week of July and first week of August, but God had a different plan for us during these two weeks.

When we realized we were going to be in Ensenada during this time period, we wondered what God had in store for us. He had a special visit planned, one that we could not have planned for.

Within a two day period, the population in our house grew from, four to seventeen! We currently live in a house that is just over 500 square feet, with my in-law’s. So when my sister-in law arrived for a month long visit with her daughter, we were excited. When the same day, a family of 6 arrived for an extended visit, I was feeling a bit stretched. So when an additional family of 5 arrived the following day, I was feeling overwhelmed. To add to these numbers, my other brother-in law lives two houses away, and his in-law’s arrived as well for an extended visit!

Why this mass of people? The birthplace of my wife is Guadalupe Victoria, just south of Mexicali, Mexico, is also the hometown of all the arriving guests. During the past few weeks, the temperature there has been consistently over 110- 120. (As well the US has also experienced high temperatures during this same period)

These families live in un-insulated homes without air-conditioning, below sea level, in an area with few trees for shade. So this was the perfect time for a visit to the city of Ensenada, with the refreshing ocean breeze.

I was feeling overwhelmed, and a little stressed, but for my wife and her family, this was normal experience. When you don’t have a phone, how can you call ahead? In this culture, friends and family know that they are always welcome, and no invitation is needed.

This is all very new for me. I come from a culture where it is normal to know in advance when guests are coming, and prepare to comfortably accommodate for all expected. And in my culture, if the house is full, we would schedule an alternate week for additional guests, or call the hotel. Yet here, all are welcomed in, fed and given a place to sleep (even if its just a space on the floor).


Imagine, when Jesus walked with his disciples from town to town, staying in houses of friend’s relatives, or with new acquaintances. Did His host’s know they were coming? Did His disciples send an email or fax, warning of their arrival?

As I continue to follow Jesus, I want to be thinking in terms of His life and times. As He was speaking these words, who was He talking to? How do His word’s apply to me, today?

When I read the word’s of Jesus, in Matthew 25:35, “I was hungry and you gave Me food, I was thirsty and you gave Me drink, I was a stranger and you invited Me in”; I realize that I am a planner. I love to provide hospitality, and serve people, yet I “enjoy” this most when I am “ready” or in control. Unfortunately, when I am ready, I have the ability to love people with my patience and love (which is finite & in short supply); yet when I have no control, am not ready, and permit Jesus to love people with His love and patience, (which is infinite and instantly recognizable as not being mine), His word’s come to life, and people are loved by Him.

For me this is key, for I want to be an ambassador of Jesus and His Kingdom, in the world. Yet the world I live in is all about comfort. But for Him to be revealed in a living way, I need to become accustomed with the uncomfortable.

What is uncomfortable for you?

Thank you for your friendship with us,

Scott & Ana Wester

No comments: